Friday 4 May 2007

The end of an Empire

Christ my head hurts, well not my head, Barbs head, but then she is me. Or am I her?

I’m confused.

Last night I took a trip back to Empire space, that is, space where people can’t shoot you without reason. I chose last night to go as our little war with the privateer alliance has juts came to a close. This means that we can travel freely in empire without being shot at every gate camp they have set up, WOOT.

The sole purpose of my trip was to fill up on a few necessities, like bread and milk. That is if bread and milk make your ship faster and guns more dangerous.

I spent just over 200 million ISK, almost my whole wallet, on skills and modules that I’ve found nearly impossible to find in 0.0 space. I’ve also managed to create a contract for most of my stuff to be bought to my new home over the next few days; so hopefully, it’ll be waiting for me when I get home.

One thing struck me as I went through the gate into my first “safe” system for almost a month, I didn’t like it. I’m a changed man, I used to like the fact that whilst under the protection of concord I was safe from harm, but when your in a system of 600 people (Jita), the odds are that you’re not going to like at least 20-30 of them. I’m guessing this number, I’m fairly sure that If I met every one of them, I’d want to punch half in the face, and drown another quarter, no real reason, I’m sure their lovely people. But they all seem to complain about the lag in Jita, yet still insist on using it for everything from ratting, shopping, selling and ganking noobs.

Anyway, back to my point. I’ve spent the last month staring at my local chat channel, ready to warp and shoot when someone comes near. Not having to do that (or rather not being able) is almost like having to learn to drive on the other side of the road. It just feels, well wrong.

Within minutes of entering the system I felt like a nomadic herdsman, coming home from hunting to find a McDonalds in his back garden, and neon lights offering various services for cash.

I can’t wait to get back to safety of 0.0. I know I’m in mortal danger the entire time I’m there, but I feel safer for some reason.

One good side to my trip is that my head is now full of 34 new skills, from baking to long ranger weapon somethingorother.

Wallet empty and not wanting to come back any time soon, I’m off again back to 0.0. Hopefully my next trip won’t be for a while….

"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations." ~David Friedman

No comments: